Happy Thursday everyone. I hope you’re all right.
Let’s get to the point.
This is the article version of the CBS Sports HQ AM morning newsletter. Fill out the information below to sign up and receive this mailbox.
Check the box to confirm your order.
Thanks for registering!
Keep an eye on your inbox.
An error occurred while processing your order.
Good morning everyone, but especially …
The Avalanche will play tomorrow night in front of their home fans on behalf of the Stanley Cup thanks to the heroism of a man who hadn’t even played for more than two weeks. Nazem Kadri sneaked along Andrei Vasilevski over half the extra time to give Colorado an exhilarating 3: 2 win and the series overall a 3: 1 lead.
- Tampa Bay’s Anthony Cirelli opened the score just 36 seconds after the game. In the second period, Nathan MacKinnon leveled things up in a game of power, but Victor Hedman led the hosts to the third period.
- Andrew Cogliano leveled two at the beginning of the third period and Kadri played his first game after the 3rd game of the Western Conference Finals due to a thumb injury – the winner of the game.
- If the result had gone the other way around, it would have been Vasilevsky. Ta stopped 34 shotswhich is a great deal. Darcy Kuemper was prominent on the Colorado network 37 controls.
This is the 37th time the team has taken a 3: 1 lead in the Stanley Cup final. Out of the previous 36, 35 people threw the cup. Everyone’s eyes are on Colorado when the cup is in the house on Friday night.
Happy NBA Drift Day! Here’s everything you need to know 🏀
The NBA is definitely not wasting time: exactly a week from now Golden State Warriors became NBA champion, The NBA draft is taking place tonight New York.
The debate on option 1 is heated and we are still not 100% sure where it is going, however our experts gave their views on the four candidates: Chet Holmgren, Paolo Banchero, Jabari Smith and Jaden Ivey. The most popular choice may surprise you.
Here is the opinion of NBA reporter Colin Ward-Henninger:
- Ward-Henninger: “Holmgren’s upside is a notch higher. Smith has no playing potential – Holmgren can thrive in this department. Banchero suspect as a 3-point thrower and defending – Holmgren has a sweet shot and is one of the best defensive prospects we have ever seen. … He has already proven that he can perform at the highest level of amateur basketball and has the most room for improvement out of all the top three. “
But it’s not Holmgren who’s at the top of the draft expert Kyle Boone’s last draft.
- Boone: “There is at least * some * concern about this diversity Smith He scores in the NBA – he struggled in college and was used primarily to catch and shoot as a weapon – but his positional size and above-average shooting are among the potential skills in that class. At 6-10 it is an elite shooting threat everywhere in the square and a a very safe bet to be a valuable two-way player The NBA. “
This is Kyle’s top five.
- 1. Magic: Jabari Smith, SF, Auburn
- 2. Thunderstorm: Chet Holmgren, C, Gonzaga
- 3. Missiles: Paolo Banchero, PF, Duke
- 4. Kings: Jaden Ivey, SG, Purdue
- 5. Flasks: Keegan Murray, PF, Iowa
If, of course, the top of the draft gets the most attention, then I like to delve deeper, because the teams find the key pieces there. The Warriors made a big contribution Draymond Green, Jordan Poole, Kevon Looney and Gary Payton II during the title race; all four were 28 or later, or not at all in the case of Payton II. So be sure to check out the thoughts of our experts post-lottery options that could become a star, second round robberiesand undrawn newcomers who could still make lists.
As for everything else …
Jerami Grant traded Trail Blazers from the Pistons 🏀
On the eve of the NBA draft, we made a big deal from one of the most sought-after players this off-season: Jerami Grant goes to Trail Blazers. Here are the details:
Trail Blazers can:
- SF Jerami Grant
- 4622th General Selection via Detroit
The flasks can:
- 3622th General Selection via Portland
- 2025 First Round Selection via Milwaukee (Protected No. 1-4)
- 2025 second round selection via Portland
- 2026 second round choice (better choice between Portland and New Orleans)
- $ 21 million trade waiver
Grant scored an average of 9.3 points per game in his first six seasons and then jumped 22.3 points in 2020-21, his first season in Detroit (he played only 47 games due to a stretch in his leg. Grant didn’t pretty to reconcile Detroit’s reconstruction schedule, which is in Portland’s favor, NBA expert Jack Maloney wrote about his grades.
Blazers may not dowho.
Snyder receiving a summons; Goodell acknowledges the commanders’ work environment 🏈
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell testified before the U.S. House of Representatives Monitoring Committee yesterday in connection Commanderswork environment – including allegations of sexual harassment by team leaders – under the authority of the team owner Daniel Snyder.
Snyder did not attend the meeting, but committee chairman Carolyn B. Maloney (DN.Y.) said he will issue a subpoena next week for Snyder to testify.
- Goodell said he has no right to remove Snyder as owner. This would require 24 of the 32 owners voting to remove him. He also disputed Maloney’s claim that Snyder had not been prosecuted for his alleged role in Washington’s work environment, saying Snyder has not attended any recent meetings of the owners and has not been involved in the day-to-day operations of the commanders.
- Maloney revealed that the committee “found evidence of this Mr Snyder conducted a shadow investigation target your accusers, blame others, and influence the NFL’s own internal oversight.
- He also said the committee ‘s investigation “confirmed The commanders secretly made obscene videos of the cheerleaders For Daniel Snyder’s personal enjoyment. ”
The franchise was was fined $ 10 million and Snyder gave up daily activities last July after Beth Wilkinson’s investigation into the team’s job. However, to the dismay of former team members, the report is private. In February, the US House of Representatives Monitoring Committee called for The NFL released the results of the investigationwhich Goodell has repeatedly refused to accept, citing the privacy of former employees.
Rest in peace, Tony Siragusa and Jaylon Ferguson
There have been two more shocking deaths in the sports world. Tony Siragusawho played in the NFL for a dozen seasons and spent over a dozen more as a broadcaster, died yesterday at the age of 55.
- Siragusa started her career together Colts, for which he played from 1990 to 1996. He played for it Crows 1997-2001, winning the 2000 Super Bowl season.
- Siragusa then worked as a side analyst at FOX from 2003 to 2015. Known for his humor as a player and broadcaster, he earned the cherished nickname “goose.” Here’s how former teammates and NFL characters reacted to the news.
- The cause of death was not immediately known.
It wasn’t the only loss to the Ravens franchise: a 26-year-old defender Jaylon Ferguson died late Tuesday nightthe team announced yesterday morning.
- In 2019, Ferguson was Louisiana Tech’s third-round pick.
- Ferguson holds an FBS record of 45 layoffs; he won the C-USA Defender of the Year title in 2018.
- He played for Baltimore in 38 games, recording 67 reps and 4.5 sacks.
- According to the police, there were no signs of trauma or crime. The cause of death is currently unknown.
What we will see on Thursday 📺
🏀 NBA draft19:30 via ESPN / ABC
🏀 Fever Wingsilat 20.00 TV channel CBS Sports Network
🏀 Mystics in a stormat 22.00 TV channel CBS Sports Network
#NBA #draft #Avalanche #pushes #Lightning #brink