“I announce today that all but four of the cases against Deshaun Watson have been resolved,” Buzbee said in a written statement. “We are working on the paperwork involved in these settlements. Once we have done so, these specific cases will be rejected. The terms and amounts of the settlements will be confidential. We will not comment on the agreements or these cases further.
Watson has not been charged with a crime. The NFL is still waiting for him based on his personal conduct.
“Today’s developments do not affect the disciplinary process of collective bargaining,” said NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy.
Watson and his attorney, Rusty Hardin, have denied the allegations.
Regarding the rest of the civil lawsuits, Buzbee said, “I look forward to reviewing these cases in a timely manner, consistent with the obligations of other documents and the court’s schedule.”
The NFL disputes Deshaun Watson’s “substantial” suspension
The accusations of women against Watson include making inappropriate comments, exposing themselves and pressing their penis into the hands of women during massage therapy sessions.
Hardin did not respond immediately to the request for comment.
“I’ve been honest and honest about my position,” Watson told reporters during Browns’ off-season training last week. “And this is: I have never coerced anyone. I have never attacked anyone. … I have said this from the beginning. And I intend to continue to do so. Until all the facts come out on the legal side, I must continue with my legal team and court proceedings.
Watson had not publicly indicated last week that he was interested in settling the lawsuits.
“Like I said, I just want to make my name clear and let the facts and legal proceedings continue to play out,” he said. “So now I want to make my name clear and let all the facts come out of court and focus on that.”
The NFL is set to argue with a new sports disciplinary officer that Watson should be banned for “substantial” breaches of its personal conduct, several people familiar with the case said Friday. The ban, which the league is asking Watson for, could last for about one full season, one of those people said.
The NFL must present the results of its investigation to Sue L. Robinson, a former U.S. district judge who is a disciplinary officer jointly appointed by the League and the NFL Players Association under the current version of the Code of Conduct.
It was not clear on Tuesday whether the case had been formally referred to Robinson.
The league hopes that the entire disciplinary process, including the resolution of a possible appeal to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell or his designee, will be completed by the start of the training camp, a knowledgeable person said Friday. The Browns will hold their inaugural training camp on July 27th.
“When it comes to the league and their decision, we must respect it and let them do their process and complete the investigation and report,” Watson said last week. “And like I said before, I’ve talked to the league. I’ve been honest and told them honestly every question they asked. So I really can’t [any] control over it. “
Buzbee said in an email on Mo
nday that neither he nor his clients were involved in the NFL disciplinary process, except for interviews with some women with league representatives last year.
“No matter what the NFL does or doesn’t do, it won’t affect civilian affairs,” Buzbee said in an email on Monday.
#Deshaun #Watson #agrees #settle #civil #lawsuits